Kindly consult your Pundit for further information.
The SAHMS presents an AMENDED FESTIVAL CALENDAR for 2021.
These amendments were made after wider consultation with Hindu Priests from various organisations/linguistic representations. The AMENDED FESTIVAL dates for 2021 have been approved by: Pundit L R Maharajh, Pundit U C Maharaj, Pundit Joy Khemraz, Pundit Amichand Maraj, Pundit Rishi Maharajh, Pundit Narottam Das, Pundit Jaydev Shukla, Pundit Kirit Acharya, Pundit Gopal Vyas, The Devasthanam Foundation of South Africa, The Andhra Maha Sabha of South Africa, The Gurumars, Guru Uma Sankaran, The Muruga Bhakthi Foundation and The Shree Sanathan Dharma Sabha of SA.
The Hindu Public is called upon to use these amended festival dates for 2021.
In releasing these dates, we wish to offer the following clarification:
1. The Ekadashi dates provided are the Smartha dates. While in most months, the Smartha and Vaishnava Ekadashi dates coincide, in some months, they are different. The months in which the Smartha and Ekadashi dates differ are:
March 24 (25*) May 22 (23*) September 16 (17*)
The dates marked with * are Vaishnava Ekadashi dates.
2. Hanuman Jayanti: In South Africa, Purnima thithi begins at 09:14 am on 26 April and ends at 05:31 am on 27 April. This means that Purnima is kshay thithi – it is not reckoning at sunrise on either day (26 or 27). In such a case, Hanuman Jayanti is to be celebrated on 26 April. Note should be made that India may celebrate Hanuman Jayanti on 27 April.
3. Guru Purnima: In South Africa, Purnima thithi begins at 07:13 am on 23 July and ends at 04:36 am on 24 July. This means that Purnima is kshay thithi – it is not reckoning at sunrise on either day (23 or 24). In such a case, Guru Purnima is to be celebrated on 23 July. Note should be made that India may celebrate Guru Purnima on 24 July.
4. Navaratri: Navaratri is from 7 October to 14 October. These are EIGHT (8) SOLAR DAYS, but NINE LUNAR DAYS (THITHI):
7 October Pratipada (first thithi)
8 October Dwitiya (second thithi)
9 October Tritiya & Chaturti (third & fourth thithi)
10 October Panchami (fifth thithi)
11 October Shashti (sixth thithi)
12 October Saptami (seventh thithi)
13 October Ashtami (eighth thithi)
14 October Naumi (ninth thithi)
Vijay Dashmi is on 15 October
5. The Diwali date for North and South is 4 November.
All enquiries in respect of 2021 dates should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com